Sunday, March 14, 2010

More Interviews


Emilie de Ravin
Emilie de Ravin finds herself moving on 
from 'Lost' to a promising movie career

Emilie de Ravin is at a crossroads. Her stint as unwed mother Claire Littleton on the hit series "Lost" concludes in 2010, when the TV series ends its six-year run. But the actress is looking ahead to her blossoming movie career. She appears in several films due out in 2010, including the drama "Remember Me."
In "Remember Me," de Ravin plays Ally Craig, a student at New York University who falls in love with fellow NYU student Tyler Hawkins (played by Robert Pattinson), a brooding type who has emotional baggage that is similar to the kind that Ally has. Tyler and Ally’s romance is tested by disapproval from certain family members and by secrets that could destroy the couple’s relationship.
At the New York City press junket for "Remember Me," de Ravin chatted with me about why she was attracted to doing the film; how she dealt with the all the people who flocked to the "Remember Me" set in New York City to get a glimpse of heartthrob Pattinson; and how she feels about the direction of her "Lost" character during the show’s final season.
What are some of the personality characteristics that you shared with Ally Craig?
I guess she doesn’t really take crap. She’s a very honest person. She doesn’t want a fluffy side of a situation. She wants the truth. She doesn’t have time to waste in that way. I think she’s become even more so that way growing up because of her mother passing away.
She doesn’t feel the need for any confusion or bullsh*t, basically. I guess that’s kind of like me. She’s a lot of fun. She’s a very quirky girl. Things I would’ve done differently… I don’t know. I don’t eat my dessert first. She’s wonderful to play.

Emilie de Ravin and Robert Pattinson in "Remember Me"

"Remember Me" is such a New York film. What was your connection to New York before doing "Remember Me"?
I love New York. I’ve always loved New York. I hadn’t, over the years, spent that much time [in New York]. I’d been back and forth quite a lot, but not for a long stint. So it was fantastic to be able to shoot exactly where you’re meant to be, instead of cheating it somewhere else, because you really get a feel for the city and a feel for the environment … The house where we shot at … in Queens, we were able to go out and walk around and actually see what’s outside the house and where you go and to eat. It was great.
How did the neighbors in Queens react to you guys filming "Remember Me" on location?
There’s not very much to do in Queens. They’re all very sweet, actually.

Robert Pattinson and Emilie de Ravin in "Remember Me"

What do you think is the main message of "Remember Me"?
I think there’s a lot of interesting messages. I think different people take different things from the film, especially not be afraid to life, not being fearful of life, embracing it and maybe sitting back and thinking about life and how lucky we are to be in the situations we are in. Life is on the go, and you never really stop and think about the people around you and the people who love you and care about you. They’re there, and make the most of it.
What do you think about what’s going on with "Lost"? Are you happy with the return of your Claire Littleton character and the character’s storyline?
I was put on a holding deal for Season 5 to come back, so I knew all along all along [that Claire would be back]. I didn’t know how I would be coming back on the island. So when I found that out, it was great, because I love to be constantly challenged by all different situations. Do I have a say in [the storyline]? No. But I’m really happy with it. It’s really fun play with them.
Are you wearing a wig in "Lost" for this storyline?
Yes. There probably are rats in there.

Emilie de Ravin and Dominic Monaghan in "Lost"

After "Lost" ends, do you want to focus only on movies or do you want to do another TV series?
I’m definitely planning to do movies. I think it is difficult when you have a hiatus of three months to find something you want to do and what they [filmmakers] want you to do and then fits in perfectly with your schedule. It’s going to be nice to have more leeway.
I’ve always traveled back and forth. There are so many people on the show ["Lost"]. Not every episode someone is in, so there’s a lot of downtime. Not so much now because it’s wrapping up and everyone is kind of involved.
What are your memories of doing the TV series "Roswell," which ended in 2002 after two years on two different U.S. TV networks? Do you have any regrets?
It’s hard to say. Things come along at certain times for certain reasons. It was fun to work on. Yeah, it was my first job in the States. Everything was new and different and [I] was missing home There was a lot going on. I learned a lot. I always try and take something from each job.

Robert Pattinson and Emile de Ravin in "Remember Me"

What do you like to do for fun when you’re in New York?
I love going to the park … ajust walking around. I spend a lot of time filming, not generally in L.A., because nothing seems to shoot [there], but you don’t walk anywhere in L.A. There are a few places [in L.A.] that you can just wander around. If you [do], there’s no interaction with people. If you ask someone something, the reaction is like you’re going to mug them. "I was just going to ask you where the coffee shop is." So I love the interaction, and that there’s always something different you notice on the streets [of New York City].
How would you describe working with Robert Pattinson?
Working with Robert is great. We shared the same passion for the script, which was great, because we spent a lot of time working on it …talking about the characters and their relationships and their lives. Nothing ever felt forced. It was from a very natural kind of place. When we were shooting, it didn’t feel like we were reading scenes. It felt like reacting off of each other and reacting naturally …

Robert Pattinson, director Allen Coulter and Emilie de Ravin on the set of "Remember Me"

What was it like dealing with so many fans and paparazzi hanging around while you were trying to film "Remember Me"?
The fans and paparazzi — it was pretty crazy. We were so much out in the elements, so it was very accessible. When we were shooting stuff at night on location and then a couple of weeks in the studio. It was challenging at times when you’re trying to rehearse a scene and figure out the logistics of it. You can’t get it out of your head. You have to get in your bubble and try to figure it out.
What do you think you learned from that experience in dealing with so many fans and paparazzi? How do you think you would handle it if you ever became as famous as Robert Pattinson?
I don’t think I would’ve handled it differently. A lot of people want that [level of attention], too. Not Rob, but a lot of people actually enjoy that kind of [attention]. I think you do what you can to keep to yourself, really. There’s not much you can really do.

Emilie de Ravin on the "Lost" panel at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, California, in January 2010

"Lost" was such a life-changing job for you. Has being on the show affected the types of projects you get offered?
No, not really, which is good. For me, picking things is more about working with people who inspire me and, like on this film ["Remember Me"], constantly, every day I was inspired by the people I was working with, which was really special. And just hopefully keep doing that and trying to challenge myself every day in a different role in each project.
With that said, is there anything you’d like to do that you haven’t done yet?
It’s specific to the role, but it would be interesting to explore comedy. And also period pieces interest me in a way. There are so many different time periods. You could be playing the girl next door [in the] present day, ‘50s, ‘20s, 1800s, 1900s, and the girl next door would be completely different. The way you talk, dress, interact, relationships. It’s very interesting to study stuff and study time periods.

Emilie de Ravin in "Remember Me"

Is there a particular era that you feel attached to the most?
I always felt like I was born in the wrong time period. I felt like I should’ve been born in the mid-to-late ‘40s. There’s a lot of time periods that really interest me. I suppose the ‘60s, actually, really interest me. I was watching a lot of stuff, as a child, from that time period. I was never the kind of kid who’d be watching stuff like cartoons. I’d be watching "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie" and [Alfred] Hitchock films.

 Source

I would like to thank Ludelia for the heads up!!!

Interview: Emilie de Ravin



Emilie de Ravin is no stranger to dedicated fans. For the last five-plus years, the 28-year-old Australian has encountered countless zealous Lost viewers, barraging her with questions and theories on even the most minute detail of the show – and it’s only gotten worse now that Lost is in its final season.
But now that she’s costarring with Robert Pattinson in the romantic drama Remember Me, de Ravin is becoming familiar with a completely different brand of obsessive fan: the Twihard.
“It’s interesting, because the Lost fans really analyze the show, but still hang back a bit,” says de Ravin. “The Twilight fans tend to be a lot more full-force, almost like… it’s like kids going to the zoo for the first time. It’s quite amazing to see all these screaming girls.”
Pattinson’s fans did make filming Remember Me a little awkward – although none of them impeded filming, de Ravin admits it was strange to do a scene in New York City with hundreds of people staring at her from the sidelines.
“There are times when you’re trying to rehearse and you’ve got lots and lots of people watching you, and you’re just standing there trying to figure out, ‘I’m going to walk here and then I turn and I say my line.’” De Ravin laughs. “Rehearsing isn’t the most interesting thing, but these people are like, ‘Oh, my God! They’re walking!’ You’ve got to be in your own bubble and get in your own world.”
But despite the infatuated fans that come along with Pattinson, de Ravin didn’t find it difficult to bond with the heartthrob. The two spent hours discussing their characters – Ally, whose mother was murdered in front of her, and Tyler, whose brother committed suicide – and why the couple would fall in love.
“I think really getting to know each other helped a lot with that,” de Ravin says. “Knowing each other well and taking the time to do that in real life transfers onto the screen. It makes a big difference. The parts that are about Ally and Tyler’s relationship are very honest and very raw. There are scenes where you think, ‘oh, this is going to happen’ or ‘that’s going to happen,’ and it flips totally upside down and it’s something completely different. It’s not your typical romantic drama.”
The actress was pleasantly surprised to find herself completely drawn into her scenes in Remember Me, whether she was playing opposite Pattinon or Oscar winner Chris Cooper, who plays her overprotective father.
“Never, with either one of them, did it feel like I was doing a scene. That’s really rare for me,” de Ravin admits. “Just watching them and naturally reacting to them, instead of, ‘OK, you’re going to say this, and now I’m going to say this.’ Sometimes you get caught up in it, and you have to take a second because you’re so absorbed in watching them. I’d get so caught up in it that I’d forget to say my lines.”
But even with her costars’ impassioned performances and Pattinson’s build-in fan base, the question is whether those fans will ever accept their idol in an on-screen romance that has nothing to do with Twilight. At this, de Ravin looks amused.
“Rob’s really taking off with a lot of great movies that he’s doing right now,” she says, smirking. “So… I think they’re going to have to accept it, at some point!”
Remember Me opens in theatres March 12.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...