Saturday, April 3, 2010

Interview In INDIELONDON.CO.UK

Remember Me - Emilie de Ravin interview

EMILIE de Ravin talks about the appeal of working on new Robert Pattinson drama Remember Me, working with Chris Cooper as her father and how much of an impact Lost has had on her career…
Q. This isn’t a conventional movie in a lot of ways. Was that part of the initial attraction for you?
Emilie de Ravin: Yeah, definitely. It didn’t read to me, personally, like a script. But it also didn’t read technically like a script… in a very good way. It was more like somebody had written you a letter, or something that somebody had jotted down. It’s so honest and organic in that way.
Q. How was working with Chris Cooper as your father?
Emilie de Ravin: I was over the moon when I found out. I’ve been a fan of Chris Cooper for years. He’s a very intense person but very giving. It never felt as though he was reading the scenes; you felt like you were watching him reacting.
Q. How were you with the New York accents how was the reaction of New Yorkers to see something that’s still quite raw for them on film?
Emilie de Ravin: In general, I love accents and I have to use them quite a lot working in the States. It adds another layer to the character for me and takes you further away from yourself. It was interesting for me because Ally [my character] grew up in Queen’s and I was originally thinking I didn’t do a very authentic Queen’s accent. So, I went up there and talked to our amazing dialect coach about it. But I also really noticed and observed while I was up there that the younger generation – late teens or early 20s – didn’t have a strong accent at all. I’ve noticed that in other places too… it’s just sort of dissipating all over the world because of a more and more constant influx of media, through the Internet and TV and through people travelling more. It’s really older people who still have that accent.
Q. Lost has been such a big part of your life… how does it feel to be leaving it behind and how do you feel about the future? What’s next?
Emilie de Ravin: Yeah, it has been a big part of my life and it’s been a great ride. It’s kind of bittersweet that it’s ending. I’m really happy that they made a decision, consciously, to announce an end date three years ago so they could evolve the story how they wanted to and really give it a beginning, a middle and an end. It’s also ending on a high note… it’s not just trickling away and no one cares. So, that’s all really positive. But obviously you miss things about projects and the people you work with. But I’m positive about the future, yes.
Q. How important is the reaction of your fans to this, being such a different, more low-key project to Lost?
Emilie de Ravin: It was never really conscious to me in that way. But why not use the pre-existing fanbase to hopefully draw people in… but you’re not going to please every fan. I mean every fan of Twilight or Lost isn’t going to love every thing that you do. That’s about them falling in love with the setting or the character and not being into the next thing you do. It’s more, for me, really wanting to do something that challenges me in a different way and not pigeon-holing myself in that one category of actor.
Q. When an Australian and a Brit working together did it provide the backdrop for a shared sense of humour?
Emilie de Ravin: [Laughs] We had an early-on battle about Vegemite and Marmite, I suppose. But I do think Australians and British people do share more of the same sarcasm in humour.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...